I once again sat down with Char, our resident skin queen at the Shawn Paul Salon, to get some more tips on transitioning your skin from winter to spring. After a long, cold winter in Cleveland, my skin is usually begging for some warmth and hydration! So what does Char think? She says it is really important to use products that aren’t going to strip your skin of its natural oils – those oils can, in fact, help protect your skin from the harsh conditions including heat and sun exposure.
So what does she recommend for preparing your skin the sunshine?
1. Avoid over-exfoliation. Vitamin A, Vitamin B, AHA, and BHA are commonly found in skin care products and are all naturally exfoliating. Adding additional exfoliants like clay masks or facial scrubs can cause irritation and over dry your skin. Char suggests using masks that are going to hydrate and soothe skin.
2. You want to finish locking in all those nutrients from your serums with a nice moisturizer designed for your skin type. For spring and summer, Char recommends using the Hydramemory creams.
3. Face Oil blends can also be used before applying your moisturizer for a soothing boost. Char recommends using either the 1.85 HA (hyaluronic acid) Booster or the Hydramemory Serum to help hydrate and plump your skin. These products will help your skin look dewy and youthful!
Hyaluronic Acid: Provides a hydrating and plumping effect. Ideal for dehydrated, stressed skin that is starting to show the first signs of aging. Natural reinvigorating, rebalancing aroma.
4. Apply SPF in the morning before your day, especially if you are going to be doing any outdoor activities. Working a daily facial sunscreen into your every day skin care routine is a vital step for skin health.
5. Avoid really hot showers and baths – they can strip your skin of its natural oils and even cause inflammation.
6. Monthly facials are important because your aesthetician can customize each facial based off of your skincare needs and even send you home with products to use at home that will help to balance and feed the skin.
So what are some of her favorite products?
The [Comfort Zone] Essential line is packed with enzymes that help to gently remove + soften dry, dead skin left over from the winter chill while adding amazing moisture back into your skin. These enzymes are naturally derived from sugar, beets, and pineapples.
Essential Milk – Silkening cleansing milk good for really dry skin. With Betaine, a natural osmolyte, it removes all impurities and make-up respecting the skin’s equilibrium and restoring its natural luminosity.
Essential Face Wash – Gentle foaming cleanser good for combination skin. With Betaine, a natural osmolyte, it removes all impurities and make-up respecting the skin’s equilibrium and restoring its natural luminosity.
Essential Toner – Soothing, brightening AND moisturizing. Toning lotion alcohol-free, ideal to cleanser, hydrate and revitalize the skin. With Niacinamide, it immediately restore the skin’s radiance.
Essential Scrub – Illuminating refining scrub that helps cleanse without over drying. Two dimensional, mechanical exfoliant with Silica particles and Jojoba Spheres to renew the skin and remove impurities. Reawakens skin luminosity, leaving the skin soft and smooth. (bonus tip: Char likes to add a small amount to the Essential Face for extra cleansing power and to help with dry patches!)
Skin Regimen 1.85 HA Booster – Hydra-plumping Hyaluronic Acid concentrate. Contains three molecular forms of Hyaluronic Acid* (Micro, Macro and Cross-linked) and Longevity ComplexTM. It helps preserving skin’s hydration and reduces signs of aging.
Hydramemory Cream Gel – 24 hour double hydration cream gel that is good for acne or combination skin. Double hydrating cream gel with innovative sorbet-like texture, formulated with Macro Hyaluronic Acid*. It hydrates and quench the skin while promoting its softness and elasticity.
Hydramemory Cream – 24 hour double hydration cream that is good for dry skin. Double hydrating cream with Macro Hyaluronic Acid* and Fair Trade Moringa Oil. It helps protecting the skin barrier while maintaining optimal levels of hydration.
Hydramemory Serum – 24 hour hydration boosting serum. Contains Biomimetic Peptides of Hyaluronic Acid* to boost your daily hydrating routine. Light, fast-absorbing sorbet-like texture. *sodium hyaluronate
All of the products are from [Comfort Zone] – stop in to check them out or ask questions! Since working with Char, we have come up with a stellar skin care routine that works well for me and my skin as it evolves with each season. Want to know why we love [Comfort Zone], click here to find out.
Schedule your appointment with Char today by clicking here or give us a call at 216.862.6029. Treat yourself to a facial this winter because you deserve it!